H.M.A.S.  Tamworth

 

 

Bicentennial Park, Kable Avenue - Tamworth

 

The anchor belonging to H.M.A.S. Tamworth  is installed in Bicentennial Park in Tamworth as a memorial to the men who served on her between 1942 and 1946.

This memorial bears the following inscription:

H.M.A.S. TAMWORTH

Erected By The Rotary Club Of Tamworth West
To Commemorate The Ship And The Men Who Served On Her From 1942 To 1946.

Erected On The 100th Anniversary Of The Royal Australian Navy On 10th July 2011

H.M.A.S Tamworth, named after the city of Tamworth, New South Wales was one of 60 Bathurst-class corvettes constructed during World War II and one of 20 built on order. She was manned by personnel of and later commissioned into the Royal Australian Navy.

From February 1943 until January 1945, H.M.A.S. Tamworth was assigned to the British Eastern Fleet. Following this, she was deployed with the British Pacific Fleet. H.M.A.S. Tamworth returned to Australian operational control on 28 September 1945. H.M.A.S. Tamworth earned two battle honours for her wartime service, "Pacific 1942–45" and "Indian Ocean 1943–44".

After a brief period of service as a training vessel in Australian waters, she was transferred to the Royal Netherlands Navy (RNN) on 30 April 1946. In RNN service, the ship operated under the name HNLMS Tidore, and served until December 1949.

Following this, the ship was transferred to the Indonesian Navy, renamed KRI Pati Unus, and served until disposal in 1969.

 

Further information is available at the following links

Monuments Australia

Royal Australian Navy

 

  • Bridge Street Memorial
  •  
  • Bridge Street Memorial
  •  
  • Bridge Street Memorial